Hi, I'm Paul, owner and coach here at CrossFit Fire of the Gods. I started CrossFitting in 2007; you can read my CrossFit autobiography here: Forty Years in the Fitness Desert
I've been coaching athletes in CrossFit almost since the day I started CrossFitting, and as result have pursued advanced training in CrossFit. CrossFit certifications and experience includes:
- Level II Trainer (2008)
- CrossFit Kids (2009)
- CrossFit Olympic Lifting (2010)
- CrossFit Coaches Prep Course (2010)
- POSE Method of Running Level I (2011)
- Precision Nutrition Level I (2012)
- Head Judge, 2010 Faction Games
- Competitor, 2008 CrossFit Games (97th)
- Competitor, 2011 Reebok CrossFit Games Open (45-50; 74th)
- Competitor, 2012 Reebok CrossFit Games Open (45-50; 324th)
That said, certifications and other qualifications are only the means to an end. The 'end' is to help athletes optimize their performance for sport, life or combat.
Prior to CrossFit, I studied traditional martial arts at Wu Hsing Shan under Mr. Alan S. Gardner from 1992 until his death in 2006. I earned shodan rank in Shotokan karate, and also enjoyed traditional ju jitsu, tai chi, ba gua, and hsing i training. It was a great privilege to be an instructor in Shihan Gardner's gym.
I am happily married, a father of four, and a career Naval Officer. I served three years on the Germantown, Tennessee Police Department after graduating from Rhodes College in 1986. I enjoy several passions and hobbies, but none exceeds my drive to learn and teach.