Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Many Ways Up The Mountain

Before he embraced natural movement, the founder of R. E. Taylor Associates Inc., a sales and consulting firm for the hospitality furniture- and fixture-manufacturing industry, logged about 70 miles a week training for marathons and ultramarathons (races longer than 26.2 miles). After nearly seven years of marathon training, Mr. Taylor had developed plantar fasciitis, an irritation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot that causes heel pain. He also had constant pain in his shins.
In December, Mr. Taylor got a wake-up call after a pick-up basketball game with friends. "I had crazy blisters, and my legs were killing me," he says. Despite his prime cardiovascular shape, he realized the long-distance running only worked a few muscles. "If I wanted to be a well-rounded athlete, I had to focus more on the rest of my body," he says."
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052702303745304576357341289831146-lMyQjAxMTAxMDAwNjEwNDYyWj.html

MovNat is hardly part of CrossFit, but what is clear from the post above is that there are many ways up the mountain, but eventually they all converge - as my martial arts instructor used to like to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment