Friday, June 4, 2010

Sun and D, Conclusion

As I've scrolled through the available information on the trade offs inherent in sun exposure - skin damage versus mood and a vitamin D generation - I've been mostly frustrated.  Frustrated with the incomplete information and the knowledge that .  Frustrated by the 'public health mentality' of risk aversion since if we advise the most conservative course, we can prevent a gozillion deaths from cancer across the population, never mind the harm to the individuals who will follow the advice but don't understand the caveats.  I've been frustrated by the question - how can it possibly be so dangerous to play in the sun when playing in the sun is as natural to humans as breathing?

At some point, one just has to pay his/her money and take his/her chances. 

I'm betting at this point that our skin cancers are generated by the interaction of sun exposure and dietary disaster - something about the overdosing on carbs and the resulting insulin-inflammation cascade, enhanced and abetted by overdosing on omega six fatty acids, further exacerbated by underdosing on omega 3 fatty acids - and probably complicated by low vitamin d levels. 

More succinctly - I think the toxic brew of hormonal disruption that we get from our western diet makes us vulnerable to sun damage we would otherwise tolerate.  I just can't accept that sun exposure, absolutely essential to our ability to generate vitamin d, literally built into the machine for survival, is also a death trap.

I have no advice for anyone on the topic, but will continue to enjoy the sun's mood modulating capacity, will continue to avoid sun burn by avoiding over exposure during peak sun hours, will enjoy my accidental tan as generated by pursuit of those activities I enjoy, and will cover up and apply sunscreen only when necessary - when I know I'm going to be overexposed in a boat, or while working outside, or some such activity.  I will not apply sunscreen daily unless forced at gun point.  I will fret about the kids' exposure but not too much. 

And I'll take comfort in the fact that our miserable diets are forcing doctors to get really good at treating us for skin cancer.

1 comment:

  1. I share your frustration, Paul, and have come to a similar conclusion. I used to wear sunscreen daily ALL year long. I have fair skin and have always been one to burn in fifteen minutes or less on those rare occasions I let my guard down. So I have been living in fear of the sun.

    Now, after researching the topic, I feel safer. Although I am relying on supplementation to meet my vitamin D needs, I don't fear the sun. I periodically get some exposure from biking (I usually cover up and don't sun-bathe), but since I am supplementing I don't have to play Russian Roulette with sunburn. I use only extra virgin coconut oil (which is my moisturizer) unless I am going to be outside for extended periods of time, in which case I'll use a zinc oxide sunscreen and cover up.

    Anyway, I can't believe what they tell us about the sun being no better than any other carcinogen, but from my personal experience, I can't tolerate much sun without risking sunburn, either. Hopefully my new strategy of tanning with the coconut oil with help me build up some protection and I can enjoy more time outdoors without worrying about it. And like you mentioned, hopefully keeping my diet as clean as possible will contribute to better protection too!

    ReplyDelete