Monday, May 7, 2012

Advice Goddess Blog

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archives/2012/04/20/i_annoy_yet_ano.html#.T5GzICdQjzI.twitter


Since this was essentially the diet I was placed on by a licensed nutritionist when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and since I don't want a repeat diagnosis, I thought, what the heck.  I like meat.  Might as well start changing my diet habits now.
I started restricting myself to a certain number of carbs per day.  2 weeks later, reaching this goal proved to be so effortless that I lowered my limit.  2 weeks later I lowered it again.  I'm not going to lie; when I first started eating this way I was hungry and tired.  But that quickly went away.  I don't even get that hungry anymore.  I also have a history of blood sugar problems.  I already had to make sure I ate some protein at breakfast, or my blood sugar would plummet just before lunch, causing me to respond by stuffing myself with whatever was handy (usually chips or cookies).  I never have problems with my blood sugar anymore.  It's so liberating.

I've heard this kind of narrative uncounted times.  The hard part is learning successful patterns of eating that support long term change.  There's no secret to change.  You have to fail to succeed.  Get back on the horse, try again, make it easier, make it taste better, but eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, little fruit or starch, no sugar/wheat.

1 comment: