Monday, March 18, 2013

Hero WOD: Barraza



Posted: 17 Mar 2013 03:00 PM PDT
"Barraza"
Complete as many rounds as possible in 18 minutes of:
Run 200 meters
275 pound Deadlift, 9 reps
6 Burpee bar muscle-ups

hero_ricardo_barraza_th400.jpg
Enlarge image
U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Ricardo Barraza, 24, of Shafter, California, assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, based in Fort Lewis, Washington, died on March 18, 2006, in Ar Ramadi Iraq, when he came under small arms fire by enemy forces during combat operations. He is survived by his parents Francisco and Nina, his siblings Amanda, Rachel, Jamie, and Frankie, and his fiancee Maghan K. Harrington and her daughter Kayla.
This man's death preceded my arrival to Iraq by about three weeks.  I think of men like this anytime I think of my tour there - a touch of survivor guilt, a mountain of respect for their courage, and the determination to what I can to give a meaning to their honor courage and commitment by living the best life I can make for myself, my friends, my family.  As the Captain said to Private Ryan, "Earn this."  May we all do so.  

Fair winds and following seas on your journey, warrior!

No comments:

Post a Comment