Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Couldn't Have Said It Better ...


From Catalyst Athletics:
"There seems to be a lot of nail-biting out there among people trying to discover the perfect training program about whether or not it's "acceptable" or "good" or who knows what adjective. The point is, I feel like too many people are concerned about the appearance of their program rather than the effect. I don't mean this in the sense that these people are conceited or self-conscious and care only about how they look to others; I mean that those others have done such a good job of belittling programs, coaches and athletes that a lot of people are uncomfortable doing what they want to do.

"If you don't enjoy your own training, why bother? If you want to run, go run. If you want to do curls, do curls. If you want to do yoga, Pilates, rollerskate, get a Chuck Norris machine and a Bowflex, do it! It's no one's business but your own.

"The only time I will genuinely tell you not to do something is if it conflicts with what you tell me your goals are. I tell people not to run sometimes—it's usually right after they tell me their main goal is getting much stronger much faster, and then in the next breath that they run 800 miles a week or don't have time to lifts weights more than twice a week because they're busy with their Pilates classes. It's not a value judgment; it's a training and goal assessment.

"So consider people's opinions and input on your training, read, watch and listen, but do what YOU want to do and what makes you happy every day in the gym. If someone is really that upset about how you're training, they're not the kind of person whose opinion means much anyway."

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello M, I don't see an email address - you can send one to me at cffotg at gmail, thanks, Paul

    ReplyDelete