Saturday, December 25, 2010

Angela - "CrossFit Works"

-
When I started a CrossFit group at Naval Support Activity Millington, one of the participants who showed the first morning was Angela.  She struggled mightily with pushups, but powered through and kept coming back - it was always a favorite moment for me when, during or after a WOD (workout of the day), she would say "that was terrible" with a big smile on her face.  


On the occasion of accepting a diploma she earned for completing a required military course, she travelled to the Navy War College.  The night before the diploma was presented, she put on her Dress Whites.  As she describes it, "I had only lost five pounds after starting CrossFit.  What I found was that I had traded pounds from my middle for pounds in my muscles!"  In other words, the uniform which had been carefully tailored when purchased was now just hanging off of her, so she had to pin up the arms, the waist, the everything, just to have a uniform she could wear to accept her diploma!


Angela continue to train - and she got stronger!  After her semi annual Navy fitness test, she commented on how easy the pushups were!  I was very proud of her success.  


Angela's family has been devastated by diabetes, and she feared this would be her fate also.  After retooling her eating habits to the low carb, high nutrition approach advocated daily on this blog, she's become very confident she can rescript her life and avoid the accelerated aging, diminished physical and mental capacities, and chronic medication that diabetes brings.


On about a week's notice, Angela took orders for an assignment to Afghanistan.  She's there now, and we (her team of CrossFitters) wish her a Merry Christmas!  She sent this note from her training a few months back, which she hastily scribbled on a time shared computer:  


"This is a true story. Got outfitted for my gear (MTV w/armor plates).
Supposed to wear it all on top of PT clothes.  Morning PT everyone is loaded down; full body gear; walking about 2 miles. Can you believe it?


"To get the vest on/off, I did all of that horrible Crossfit stuff:
-dead lift
-thruster
-jumped the weight overhead
-slid it on
-to remove the vest I did the jerk (jumped up and lifted the weight right over my head).
I did really well, and felt really good (confident).  Had no problems carrying the weight (approx 65 lbs)!
"Unbelievable!"


It's one of the finest compliments a CrossFitter could deliver to a coach.  A couple of months later, she ran a 5K race and penned the following, showing how much she's learned about how to sustain a high level of fitness with minimal time and equipment:
"All,  My time was:  30:22!
"That was the absolute best I ever felt.  My time for 3 miles is usually 40 - 43 minutes.  The only thing I have been doing to stay in shape are squats and a Tabata (rowing machine). 
"Daily mortar attacks not so far off in the distance, but so far so good.  Please let everyone know I am safe. Keep me in your prayers!"


We do and are as eager for your safe return as we are thankful for the warm, determined enthusiasm you gave us so many mornings while working so hard through something 'terrible'!  We are also thankful to you for the professional job you will do 'downrange'.  I think it goes with out saying, but just in case, we're awfully proud of you Angela!

No comments:

Post a Comment