Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lose Weight, Lower BP, Get Scolded

My blood pressure is lower, I've had a dramatic drop in cholesterol, and I can close my collar without a Wonder Button. But is it healthy? I asked my longtime friend and former physician, Dr. Michael Richter. "What you have done is all right for a quick weight loss," he tells me. "But you're still eating an unhealthy, high-fat, high-protein diet, and without exercising. It's not good. This is not a healthy way for a person to lose weight."
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2023845,00.html#ixzz1E02uM7ar

No, you wouldn't want to lose weight and improve your health markers by eating in a way that reduces your appetite, that would be crazy risky!!  After all, we know that high fat, high protein diets make your BP lower and your cholesterol numbers better, not to mention improving your triglycerides and your A1c AND WE JUST CAN'T HAVE THAT CAN WE!!  And don't even get me started on how stupid it is to say "you are losing weight without exercise, knock it off!"

There are some topics which seem to render otherwise intelligent people into unthinking buffoons, and discussions of diet, science and health are one of the best ways to see that principle in action.


No comments:

Post a Comment