Friday, October 11, 2013

"How I Made My Training Sustainable and Injury Free"

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/a-different-version-of-crossfit-how-i-made-my-training-sustainable-and-injury-

I read this story and thought "how ridiculous it is to suggest that there's any alternative to doing CrossFit as do or die, my way or the highway, full on, full out, go big or go home, kill yourself w CrossFit or die trying!!"

OK, obviously I'm kidding, the point of CrossFit is to make yourself more fit, and you don't have to kill yourself trying.  CrossFit's high intensity is scaled, the right amount of intensity is relatively high - relatively high for you.  The guideline I like is "better today than yesterday, better tomorrow than today."  You don't have to have a sub-3 minute Fran time to be a good CrossFitter.  You have to do Fran, and the other WODs, while striving for better movement, better effort, and trusting these process goals will deliver faster times.

The only thing I dislike about the article is the title, which implies Andy's interpretation wasn't always out there.  CrossFit has always been there for you to scale to your own ability, which is why 70 year olds, 20-something Games athletes and over-weight teens can all do the same WOD at the same time (by scaling the WOD to their ability and goals).


No comments:

Post a Comment