Sunday, October 17, 2010

Book Reviews (I Wish); Westman, Wolf, Atkins, Taubes and Ferriss

I'm reading the new Atkins book - but it is boring.  I was expecting more interesting science, links to updated studies, and a way to better support through the science the case for low carb - so far, that's not necessarily there.  Even worse, the authors talk about whole grains as if they were better for a human than refined grains - to which I say, "How?"  They have a worse glycemic impact, and no nutrition worth consuming.  But I digress ... and in truth, these are relatively small complaints.  The book was not written to be interesting for someone that's been digging around the nutrition world for years.

As I plod along looking for a gold nugget in the new Atkins book, I've finally ordered Robb Wolf's book, "The Paleolithic Solution."  I also pre-ordered Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" and look forward to reading that.  I hope that both of these books are the kind I could send to a friend or family member who's inquiring about diet and health - most of what's out there is not good for this purpose.


Lastly, I'm going to be very interested to read Tim Ferriss' book.  The guy's a brilliant thinking, and detailed researcher.  I expect this book to be of limited utility, but I bet it will have some very interesting stuff we've not seen elsewhere.



One day I'll read Sisson's Primal book - I don't expect to learn anything new in that book, but I'll bet it's worth the read anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment